October 15, 2009

Patience, Passion or Both?

One question has been knocking on every brain cell for the last two weeks - how do the people working at day care, single moms, stay-at-home-moms manage to care for the little ones? Is it just passion, or an abundance of patience, or both?


Since my parents returned to India 20 days back, I have been staying home with my almost-six-month old kiddoo. This is just the beginning of my three month time off from work. These last few days have been such an eye-opener to me, I tell you! I figured how much work goes into managing all the household work plus the little "Home Entertainment System" that I have. It does take up all your time, but sure is well worth it in the end.

My typical day starts at 6 in the morning when I shower up before hubby leaves to work at 6:30. I get about an hour to myself before Maanya is up, and I usually try to catch up on household chores then, except, occasionally (like today) when I go online to check my mails. Once the little one is up, it's all whole nine yards - nursing, diapering, baby bath, rock her to sleep (and catch a few winks myself right on the rocking chair). Before I know it, it's evening and time to step for a little stroll! Once we are back home, that's when my patience is tested. I will need to get done with cooking, and put Maanya to sleep (the princess protests if her dad rocks her at night!). And oh, I am still working on getting her to at least nap in her crib. It's baby progress, if you know what I mean. I am so exhausted by the time I hit sack, the night seems to just whizz by, what with waking up a couple times to nurse the baby as well.

So I wonder, how does a single mom manage? What is it that folks at day care centers have that keep them going every day? Is it a huge pot of patience that they have access to, or do they just love kids so much that nothing else matters? I absolutely love kids, and am very patient as well, but there are still times that actually test me! What about stay-at-home-moms? Does everyone feel the same, stay-at-home and otherwise? Are there times when you feel you need some time to yourself?

All in all, I must say that I am really glad to have taken a little break from work and am enjoying every minute I am getting with Maanya!!

No comments: